1978 Gitane Olympic Record
- Serial No: 2028 324
- Frame: Metric Reynolds 531 Butted Tubes Forks and Stays; Seat Tube: 58cm ctt; Head Angle: 74deg; Seat Angle: 74deg; Wheelbase: 101cm; Chromed dropout faces
- Crankset: Campagnolo Nuovo Record 52/42t
- Pedals: Campagnolo Superleggera Strada
- Gears: Campagnolo Nuovo Record; Pat 77 rear derailleur; . 14-19t 6-speed freewheel.
- Wheels: Campagnolo Record LF Hubs; 36 Spokes; Front Rim: Mavc Monthlery Pro; Rear Rim: Mavic Monthlery Legere; Tyres: Hutchinson Krono Strada
- Brakes: Campagnolo Nuovo Record
- Handlebars and Stem: 3ttt
- Saddle and Seatpost: Challenge Compe (Italy) Saddle on Campagnolo Nuovo Record Seatpost 26.4mm diameter
The date of this machine has been re-estimated as 1978. Although the rear derailleur is dated 1977, the bicycle is equipped with components incorporating the C.P.S.C changes introduced in 1978. This machine is essentially the same specification as the bicycle that won the Tour de France in 1978 (Bernard Hinault). This is Gitane’s top tier bicycle available to the public. I believe that the model designation in the catalogue is Olympic or Olympic Record.
This bicycle was obtained unused, complete and original except missing the crankset, in 2007 or 2008. It is not known whether the mismatched rims are intentional or a sign of chaos within the Gitane factory – they are assumed original because of the fact that the bicycle was unused and both front and rear tyres are the same make and model.